Saga and AggregateNotFoundException

Hi there,

I am currently developing a simple Saga, and I am struggling with its design.

My Saga is pretty simple: it reacts to an event coming from the Aggregate X, and it sends a command to the Aggregate Y.
It may happen that the Aggregate Y doesn’t exist.
In that case, the Saga should do compensation actions.

This is how the code looks like:

@StartSaga
@EndSaga
@SagaEventHandler(associationProperty = "a")
fun handle(event: EventFromX) {
    try {
        commands.sendAndWait<Void>(
            CommandToY(event.d, event.c, event.e)
        )
    } catch (e: CommandExecutionException) {
        commands.sendAndWait<Void>(
            CommandToX(event.a, event.b)
        )
    }
}

Currently, I catch any CommandExecutionException and pretend that it will always be an AggregateNotFoundException.
How can I check that the exception is an AggregateNotFoundException?

From the documentation, I understand that I need an Interceptor which reacts to every AggregateNotFoundException.
The Interceptor would throw a CommandExecutionException with details of the missing Aggregate.
In this way, I can check the presence of those details inside the Saga exception handling.
If this is the only way to handle the problem, how can I code such an Interceptor?

Thanks,
Luca

Maybe something like this?

class AggregateNotFoundHandler : MessageHandlerInterceptor<CommandMessage<*>> {

override fun handle(unitOfWork: UnitOfWork<out CommandMessage<*>>?, interceptorChain: InterceptorChain?): Any? {
        try {
            return interceptorChain?.proceed()
        } catch (e: AggregateNotFoundException) {
            throw CommandExecutionException("Aggregate not found", e, e)
        }
    }
}

Here the assumption is that AggregateNotFoundException will be available on the classpath of the process that is interested in the command handling result. That’s the reason it’s provided as a cause and details to CommandExecutionException, you may need to alter the rethrow logic.

Kind regards,
Beka