Providing wrong config when creating a replication group via the Console leaves the replication group "stuck" and unusable

Using Axon Server 2024.0.0, if I perform the following steps:

1. Console → Contexts
  2. Create Context
  3. Enter context name (“test”)
  4. Replication group → Create new
  5. Add replication group name (“test”)
  6. Choose nodes (I picked a single node in my case)
  7. Roles → messaging_only

Then the creation of the context will fail because no nodes in the replication group have the PRIMARY role.

If, after this fails, I go to the Replication Groups tab, I do not see the above replication group. So far so good. However, if I go to Add Replication Group and perform the following steps:

1. Enter same name for the replication group as in step 5 above.
  2. Choose the same node as in step 6 above (I only have the one node, so I cannot say if this occurs with multiple/other nodes).
  3. Role → PRIMARY

Then I see the following error message:

{
    "message": "[AXONIQ-2107] The creation of the replication group is already in progress.",
    "error": "REPLICATION_GROUP_UPDATE_IN_PROGRESS",
    "status": "AXONIQ-2107"
}

It seems that this causes the replication group creation process to get “stuck”. I also don’t see a way to fix state this via the Console.

Hi, on Monitoring page, in the running task do you see a task for creating this rep group? If yes, try to cancel this task and create replication group again.

Thanks for reporting this bug

Thanks for the quick reply.

After some time, it seems that the replication group creation process suffers a timeout (it seems around 30m or so?) and I am able re-create the replication group. So the workaround here right now would be to just grab a cup of coffee it seems. :slight_smile:

Monitoring page, in the running task do you see a task for creating this rep group?

After reproducing the issue, I do not see any running tasks in the Monitoring page:

Thanks for reporting this bug

No problem - thanks for an amazing product! Looking forward to all the things to come here.

I reproduced it as well, and another workaround is to delete affected replication group via CLI or API for example

curl -X 'DELETE' \
  'http://localhost:8024/v1/replicationgroups/bug-rep?preserveEventStore=false' \
  -H 'accept: */*'

Anyway we will address issue in next patch…