Unable to retrieve initialResult from SubscriptionQueryResult

So I just changed axonframework version from 4.3 to 4.4 and after that I am not be able to retrieve initialResult from SubscriptionQueryResult, but I can still retrieve updates result. So with this code
I am not be able to retrieve any result and (also updates).

val query = FetchUserById(userId = user.getUserId())
val queryResult = queryGateway.subscriptionQuery(query,
ResponseTypes.instanceOf(UserDetail::class.java),
          ResponseTypes.instanceOf(UserDetail::class.java)
        )
        Flux.using(
          { queryResult },
          {
            it.initialResult()
              .concatWith(it.updates())
              .flatMap { data ->
                Flux.interval(Duration.ofSeconds(30))
                  .map { sseEmitter(event = "heartbeat", data = "keep-alive") }
                  .startWith(sseEmitter(event = "user-info", data = Gson().toJson(data.toUserInformationDTO())))
              }
          },
          SubscriptionQueryResult<UserDetail, UserDetail>::close
        )

Here’s error log from application.

2021-03-19 12:01:11.769  WARN 1 --- [ueryProcessor-1] o.a.q.LoggingQueryInvocationErrorHandler : An error occurred while processing query message [io.unknown.easyfood.coreapi.FetchUserById]

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: null
	at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.timedGet(CompletableFuture.java:1756) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(CompletableFuture.java:1915) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at org.axonframework.queryhandling.SimpleQueryBus.lambda$scatterGather$3(SimpleQueryBus.java:206) ~[axon-messaging-4.4.7.jar:4.4.7]
	at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1382) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:482) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:472) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:151) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:174) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:418) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at org.axonframework.axonserver.connector.query.AxonServerQueryBus$QueryProcessingTask.run(AxonServerQueryBus.java:437) ~[axon-server-connector-4.4.7.jar:4.4.7]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) ~[na:1.8.0_212]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) ~[na:1.8.0_212]

but if I remove initialResult like this even though there’s no data at first I am still be able to retrieve the incoming update data.

Flux.using(
          { queryResult },
          {
            it.updates()
              .flatMap { data ->
                Flux.interval(Duration.ofSeconds(30))
                  .map { sseEmitter(event = "heartbeat", data = "keep-alive") }
                  .startWith(sseEmitter(event = "user-info", data = Gson().toJson(data.toUserInformationDTO())))
              }
          },
          SubscriptionQueryResult<UserDetail, UserDetail>::close
        )

I have tried changing version back to 4.3 and it worked again, but still not working with 4.4
here are some of my dependencies

implementation("org.axonframework:axon-spring-boot-starter:4.4.7")
implementation("io.projectreactor.kotlin:reactor-kotlin-extensions")
implementation("com.novemberain:quartz-mongodb:2.2.0-rc2")

Thanks for noticing this and sharing this with us @Werapon_Pat.
This would like have been fair game as a bug remark on the issue tracker.

However, somebody already did this, for a resembling problem. For reference, I am talking about issue #1737.

I am guessing mapkuff and your issue are identical, given the use of the subscription query and the type of exception you are receiving. There is something interesting which mapkuff notes, and that is that the problem is resolved as soon as he/she no longer returns a Future/CompletableFuture from the query handler.

Would you be able to share with us what your query handler, which should return the initial result, actually does?

I want to notify you @Werapon_Pat that the problem at hand has been resolved in Axon branch 4.4.x.
This means it will be a part of the upcoming bug release, which will be 4.4.8.
The performed fix can be found under the earlier referenced issue #1737.

There currently is one other issue I/we need to tackle prior to being able to release 4.4.8.
Once it’s present, I will nudge on this issue, so that you can start using it.

For now, there are two things you can do to solve the problem at hand:

1. Revert back to Axon Framework 4.3.x and wait until 4.4.8 is out (which should be this week).
  2. The problem only occurs if the result type of a query handler is a Future or CompletableFuture. Thus, you can change the result type from your query handlers to not be async.

Hoping to have clarified your options sufficiently and to have told you what we’re doing to solve the problem at hand, @Werapon_Pat.

I’d like to notify you @Werapon_Pat that we’ve released Axon Framework 4.4.8 today.
This release contains the aforementioned fix, which should allow you to use the subscription query as with Axon Framework 4.3.x.

Please give this version a try and let us know whether it resolves the problem you were experiencing.