Greg Young's "Event Store" & Axonframework?

Hi,

any plans to adapt Greg Young’s “Event Store”?

http://geteventstore.com/

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael,

it’s on my not-so-official to do list. Basically, that means I’ll add support for it after the 2.0 release. Getting that out is my first priority.
Perhaps 2.1 will have support for it.

I haven’t thoroughly checked his ES yet. Have you? If so, what’s your impression?

Cheers,

Allard

Hi Allard,

I haven’t checked it really… It sounds promising, but at the moment the documentation is pretty poor. I think in general it’s a good idea to have libraries/frameworks that are focused on a single part of the whole technology stack. Maybe it’s a bit early at the moment, but I guess it will evolve over the next months - So integration with Axon 2.1 sounds good :wink:

Cheers,
Michael

Do any og you have updates on this? Would the event store from Greg Young compare to e.g Axon+mongodb? What are the big differences?or,hos could the event store fit into the "Axon framework world"?

To expand a bit on my previous question: I was on a talk given by GY yesterday,and he claimed that for most other event stores the issue is that you have to give the events to the processors which can become a performance issue with many events,but in his event store you feed the events with a processor (inside the event store I think).he also didnt give many positive words about mongodb used in event stores.

Sooo, would like your input on the big similarities and differences between Axon and his EventStore,also if they are comparable or not.

Hi Viggo,

I still haven’t looked at Greg’s Event Store (sorry, Greg). He did tell me that work is being done on a Java connector. It’s either done or will be done in the near future. I do know that it has some features that make this event store much, much better than any relational database will ever be. Mongo suffers from some of the problems a relational database has, but does scale much better than most relational databases. If Mongo is configured correctly, it is suitable to use.

Axon and EventStore aren’t really comparable, as they’re completely different things. Axon is an application framework, where EventStore is an implementation of an Event Store. It is possible to use the Event Store from an Axon based application. All you need to do is implement the Event Store interface to send and read events from EventStore.

Cheers,

Allard

Hi all,

a Java client is now available in the Maven Central Repository:

`

com.geteventstore
eventstore-client_2.10

`

But I haven’t tried it yet…

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,

if anyone tried, please let me know how it worked out.
Looking at the poms of the connector, I noticed it’s a 10MB download; rather big for a connector. It is implemented using akka and scala.
Once I get the higher priority Axon things done, I could have a look at it.

Cheers,

Allard

Hi,

It’s just 1 MB - I guess you accidently added a zero to much :wink: - The problem is, that all the stuff is written in Scala…

In general there seems to be no documentation of the low level TCP protocol at all. The HTTP protocol is also poorly documented: Most of the times only by examples & no formal description. I even failed with a simple “GET” in Java because the MimeType couldn’t pe parsed (https://github.com/EventStore/EventStore/issues/82)…

The event store looks really promising, but it may take some time before it’s usable together with Java.

Cheers,
Michael

No, I counted the transitive dependencies as well. If you don’t use akka (3.5MB) or scala (7mb), you end up with a 10mb connector. Besides the pure size, it makes me doubt the efficiency of the code as well.
But I can’t draw any conclusions before I have tried.

If you interested in the documentation of the api, you could ask Greg Young for it.

Cheers,

Allard

Ouch… Hopefully there will be some kind of pure Java library for the TCP interface in the future :slight_smile:

In the meantime I continued exploring the HTTP API and found several inconsistencies between XML & JSON format - I thought both are exchangeable but this is currently not the case. Looks like XML is ATOM compatible and JSON contains additional fields. But this is not really documented.

Cheers,

Michael

It’s more than 2 years since some asked that question. Any updates?

W dniu sobota, 4 stycznia 2014 22:03:56 UTC+1 użytkownik Michael Schnell napisał:

No updates from my end…

If anyone feels like doing it, this should get you going:

https://github.com/EventStore/EventStore.Akka.Persistence

Yes, it’s Scala and there will be huge dependencies and so on. I’m 100% Scala these days (except some dependencies like Axon :slight_smile:

It’s been quite a bit of time since the last post on this thread… but I’ll give this a try. As there been any progress in relation to the original question?

Also, has anyone tried https://github.com/Qyotta/axon-eventstore?

Regards,
Bruno

From our end, there has been no progress on this. I also haven’t had any feedback so far on the use of GetEventStore with Axon. Sorry.

Cheers,

Allard