Ran into this error and after hours and hours of scouring my code for whatever change I made that caused it to crop up, it just came out of the blue two days ago, I found this article: Failed to read events from the underlying event storage. I started experimenting and researching the xstream security issue and for now I have resolved my problem by just switching to jackson. Using the following properties in the application.properties file did the trick for me.
axon.serializer.general=jackson axon.serializer.events=jackson axon.serializer.messages=jackson
Thought I would share for anyone who may stumble onto this same issue.